Fasting is one of the most underrated and underappreciated weapons in our arsenal. Unfortunately, too many of us do not use this tool enough to fight off Satan and his demons. Hey, it may even help you get a 6-pack too! Pretty cool, huh?
The Bible and the Catechism tells us fasting, almsgiving, and penance are three main players to increase our spiritual life. If it's good enough to be in the Bible (even Jesus talks about it!) and the Catechism, it is good enough for me!
Keep listening to find out Father Dom's Yeti story, why fasting is beneficial both spiritually and physically, and how we can use this tool to our advantage.
Father Dom's Challenge: Figure out a way to implement more fasting into your life. For most of us, fasting from food is our primary fast. If that's the case, intermittent fasting is the way to go! But, some of us need to fast from other things. Sports? Cars? Gambling? Social media? Alcohol? We all struggle in some way and each struggle is an opportunity to give it up to God and grow in virtue!
Now, go out there and be a saint men!
Thank you to our partners at Hallow! Hallow is the #1 Catholic app that helps deepen your prayer life, meditate on Holy Scripture, fall asleep to Bible stories, and so much more! Make sure you click on this link to receive an extended 30-day free trial of their premium content exclusively for our listeners.
As always, please pray for us! We are men who are striving every day to be holy, to become saints and we cannot do that without the help of the Holy Ghost!
Get social with us:
Follow us on the ‘gram.'
Join our private FB group exclusively for our listeners.
Contact Father Dom and James directly:
Resources mentioned in the episode:
1. Article on Aletaia on the history of fasting in the Catholic Church --> some good insight on how fasting has changed over the years in the Church
2. USCCB guidelines on fasting in the USA
3. Another article on the history of fasting in the Church
4. The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr. Ben Fung --> excellent book on all the things you want to know about fasting
5. Exodus 90 link --> Challenge your body, your mind, and your soul. Grow a brotherhood.